- If you have a copy of a past year tax return that included your child it will have the child’s SSN
- Find your child’s SSA card for the SSN
- Medical/school records may have the SSN
- If steps 1 thru 3 do not provide you with your child’s SSN then contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 or go online to ask for a Social Security
How do I get my son’s Social Security number? The simplest way to acquire your child’s SSN is to fill out a birth registration form. Normally, you will be provided a form at the hospital while the mother is still registered as a patient. Simply check the box on that form requesting a SSN and provide the Social Security number of both parents.
Can I get a passport without a SSN? There is no law which requires you to have one so there can be no law which requires you to disclose what you’re not required to have. No word from the IRS 5 years and one passport renewal later (I did not include a ss# on the renewal app either).
How do I get my Baby’s SS number?
This process requires you to do three things:
- Complete Form SS-5 ( Application for Social Security Number) and provide both parents’ Social Security numbers on the form.
- Provide at least two documents proving your baby’s age, identity, and citizenship status. One document should ideally be your child’s birth certificate.
- Provide proof of your own identity.
How to find child’s Social Security number? If you had your child as a dependent on a previous tax return, you can find their SS number there. Otherwise, you need to Contact the Social Security Administration at www.ssa.gov. Social Security numbers are confidential information, so they are not available online, except from some fee-based services that I don’t think that I would trust. 2
How can I get my Child’s Social Security number?
How can I get my Child’s Social Security number? Get Your Child a Social Security Number. If you didn’t apply for your child’s Social Security number when he was born, you can apply later, at the Social Security office near you. You’ll need to provide: A completed Application for Social Security Card. An original or certified copy of your child’s birth certificate.
What to do if you lose your child’s Social Security card? If you have lost your child’s Social Security card and need the number, you will need to apply for a new card through the Social Security Administration. Social Security numbers will not be released over the phone. It is best to replace it promptly so you have it when needed.
When do you get a Social Security number for a newborn? You can apply for a Social Security Number for a newborn after you give birth at a hospital. Usually, this option is presented to you when you provide workers with information for your child’s birth certificate. If you choose this option, you need to provide SSNs for you and the child’s other parent.
How old do you have to be to get a Social Security card for a child? NOTE: In some localities, the post office will not deliver your child’s card unless the child’s name is on your mailbox. Children age 12 or older: Anyone age 12 or older who requests an original Social Security number must appear in person for an interview, even if a parent or guardian will sign the application on the child’s behalf.